Thursday, August 31, 2006

Is it just me?

Recently I've read several variations on the theme: "Knitting isn't JUST for Grannies anymore" ... my response to this is twofold:
response one: excuse me, JUST for grannies...what is this JUST? was it ever? I learnt to knit at age 7 or so and knitted obsessively all through my teen and early married years. Wool was cheap, and knitting was [usually] a very satisfying thing to do. Most of my friends knitted too, so I certainly wasn't an oddity.
response two: and this one has to do with the subtext implicit in the first statement , that older people who knit are somehow 'daggy' and that the image of knitting or more specifically knitters, needs to be rescued from some stygian abyss of dressed doll toilet roll holders and koala tea cosies. I did not suddenly lose my sense of taste just because I got to the other side of 50.

I LOVE it that huge numbers of twentysomethings and thirtysomethings have 'discovered' knitting. I love it that people are rediscovering the joys of long term projects in fine wools... that there are gals and guys out there knitting in pubs and cafes... all good.

but

knitting doesn't need to be the new yoga or the new anything else. It doesn't need to be just a fad to be taken up for a brief time and then passed over when the next new thing comes along.

oh and btw all of the above can also be applied to my other love : quilting.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I agree!! Anytime someone is knitting, it's a good thing. I started doing crafty things as a child as well.