Friday, December 15, 2006

Happy dance

A couple of months ago I remember vaguely alluding to a meeting I'd attended at Central Goldfields Gallery, Maryborough in regards to a mysterious future project. I didn't want to mozz myself by saying anything too early.

Well, I've just received an email confirming funding, so now I can finally tell you about it.

A group of Maryborough Health professionals and the Art Gallery applied jointly for VicHealth funding for an Arts Access Program. They needed to attach a local Arts practitioner to the proposal as the paid 'professional' and I'm it. The fact that I had a teaching background was seen as a plus.

We'll be working with women living in isolated farming communities of the Shire and teaching them some of the 'fast-and-dirty' techniques - fusing, paintsticks, that sort of thing - with a view to producing something that could be exhibited at the Gallery. The working title is Connecting Through Threads. I think just Connecting Threads would be better.

The time frame is ridiculously short but I've had worse. [ Nola, you would remember the Rowville project ]

The Gallery person wanted them all to work on a large quilt [ and thought 3 or 4 months would be a realistic time frame to teach them the skills, get the work done and THEN finish the quilt ....yeah ... right! ] She'd seen the community quilt at the Library here and thought something like that. Once I picked myself up of the floor, stopped choking and my face had gone back to a colour other than puce, I explained to her that the Library Quilt took the better part of 2 years!
With a view to retaining some sort of slender grip on sanity, my suggestion was to have each woman work on a small piece that could be quilted and bound then be fastened together with ties or snaps or buttons to form a larger piece for the exhibition but that would allow them all retain to ownership of their individual pieces .
This project is supposed to boost their self esteem and give them some new skills.
Should be interesting.

current cat / ornament count : 4

6 comments:

lisette said...

wow - how exciting! how many women do you think will be involved? congratulations - it sounds wonderful

catsmum said...

I don't know that they actually SAID how many they're expecting... oops... maybe I should've asked.

Caitlin said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOT! Goodonyer!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!!! Congratulations!!!! Will you be able to photograph the final results? I'd love to see it.

Cats are up to four, huh? Aren't they clever? ;)

crazyhaberdasher said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!...love from Chris and Maz

crazyhaberdasher said...

......and CONGRATULATIONS!!!