Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Goat update - happy - and other stuff - also happy


Here's Ms Rosie today modeling the latest Summer fashions for the steadily recuperating and discerning goat:
We've had very cold nights so she still has to wear her Goat Coats ( old blankets ) until she puts a bit of mass back on.

the vet admitted today that he hadn't held out any hope of her making it through the weekend so I feel pretty good about her condition now, all things considered.
In other news I know how to give an intramuscular vitamin B12 injection to a largely muscle-less goat - although I ended up wearing some of the first one I gave her... and check out the name of the product in the box ... and you have to think phonetically

Also, in what was clearly a momentous day, I plied my first handspun yarn and it's currently 'resting' on the niddy noddy waiting for a bath tomorrow

I also skirted a couple of really really dirty fleeces that I've been given and I'm trying to work out if it's worth getting them cleaned and scoured - I mean these must've been the dirtiest sheep in history.
Sophie did her usual thing and got seriously silly on the lanolin pheromones in Shirley Sheep's fleece while ignoring the black fleece from Shirley's friend Shaun.
ETA a note for Janine C... if you ever need a few kilos of fleece to make up the 20 kg for that guy in Bendy, let me know, ok?
What else?

Helped my friendly spinning coach, Diane, with her Japanese quilt and did some last minute finishing on a class sample for tomorrow that should've been done a week ago but we all know why it wasn't, don't we?

and there was even time for a leisurely cup of chai with Robyn out on the verandah - glorious perfect morning, maggies and kookas caroling, a goat on the mend and a good friend to chat too.
Priceless.

and finally in the ' it only happens when the camera's in the back seat out of reach ' file: one small and gorgeous wallaby hopping across the street in the residential area when I was taking David in yesterday morning - Ray Street for those who know Castlemaine

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day - and well deserved it was, too! I'm so glad to hear that Rosie is doing better - did the vet ever give you any idea of hat the problem actually was?

You have no idea what I'd give to see a wallaby hopping across the road. Squirrels, chipmunks, skunks - even the odd rabbit - but no wallabies :)

Alwen said...

Oh, I'm so relieved for you and Rosie! Wasn't that her picture over Christmas with the strand of lights around her neck?

catsmum said...

yes that was her, Alwen :)

blessedspeedy said...

Hooray for Rosie - and why isnt she wearing a quilt???? Or a hand knitted item

catsmum said...

Because I had to find her something to wear - in a hurry - that wouldn't mind getting pooed and piddled on and possibly eaten.
However you never know what might happen!

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Good to hear Rosie is doing better. Shame the photos would not show for me. Will try and come back later. Think I would ditch the dirty fleeces, life is too short. Must be plenty of clean ones out there?
Bestwishes
Maggie

Sheepish Annie said...

I am so, so happy and relieved! I just can't imagine how horrible it would be to lose such a wonderful friend. You were amazing through this...truly amazing!

Anonymous said...

phew! so glad Rosie's on the mend, she must have had a really good nurse! love the goaty jackets, hope she doesn't eat them....
maybe there's a gap in the market there, Susan - hand-tailored Goaty Coats?

Lindi said...

So glad to hear Rosie is on the mend. The photos didn't show up, but I'm sure they'll come back for me to see later.
Isn't the web amazing? All those well wishes being sent to her and you certainly must have helped.

Unknown said...

I'm so happy that Rosie is feeling better! And congratulations on the spinning - it looks great!

Danielle said...

I need to give my goats (IM) shots this weekend. Would you mind telling me where on your goat you gave the shot and how far in you put the needle? My Saanens are due to kid in about a month and I'm administering a BoSe shot to help combat "floppy kid" syndrome. Any suggestions???

Danielle said...

Thanks for the tips. I just had to go for it on my own this morning. I gave both girls their shots in the back of their thighs. I prayed and it worked out. Again, thank you so much. How long have you had your goat(s)? Did you attach a strap or anything onto the blankets your goat wears? How do you keep them from falling off?

TinkingBell said...

So pleased Rosie's feeling a bit better- still sending happy positive thoughts to you all!

MadMad said...

Oh, my goodness! You poor thing - I can't believe all you've been through! Poor Rosie! I'm so glad to hear she seems better.

Lynne said...

**off topic** Please email me at ellebee57@hotmail.com so we can discuss the postcards!!

kathy b said...

momentous is the right word. big congratulations. some day i'll learn too.
love all the goat posts. Good health to the little sufferer