Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jackson Pollock eat your heart out

I decided that Dave needed to spend a little less time in front of the tv today
and I had a long, thin pre-primed canvas that I had no immediate plans for.
So
I undercoated it in pale blue/grey and then turned David loose with the paints.
The colour choices were mine and I limited his palette to teal, white and copper.
I think he was humoring me as much as anything, but he obliged with a few swipes at the canvas and then got the giggles when I showed him how to make spatters by tapping the brush.
If we'd had a painting session on paper the result would probably be stuck on the fridge, or used as wrapping paper for the next outgoing birthday gift
but instead it is hanging in his bedroom and I think it looks pretty damn good

Isn't it interesting how working on a proper stretched canvas immediately imparts ... something ... a weight ... a validity ... to the result ?

13 comments:

crazyhaberdasher said...

Isn't that wonderful! .... I might commission him to do one in greens and reds!!

Lindi said...

I think it looks great, too! I'd be very happy with it hanging in my loungeroom. It's full of energy.
I hope that doesn't sound condescending, because I really do like it, regardless of who did it.

Warty Mammal said...

Looks as though he enjoyed himself. You've posted some of his ceramic things before, I think, and they were rather nice.

Lynne said...

It was inspiring of you to turn what seemed like a chore to him into a game. Well done.

I'm sure he's very proud of the result. Stretched canvas does, indeed, give legitimacy that paper can't match.

Anonymous said...

Well done David. I absolutely love it. You can sense the excitement in the painting.

Liz said...

Well done to David, the work of a master, well it must be - it's hung!!
Lizzie
XXX

Nadie said...

I see a woman in a kimono with an umbrella. You sure you didn't influence him?

catsmum said...

Actually Nadie, now that you've pointed that out, I can totally see it ! and no I didn't influence him at all { except to call a halt before it got all mud-puddled ] and he actually painted it the other way up. I just liked it better this way ... maybe my subconcious was seeing the geisha ?

crazyhaberdasher said...

I can see a bird (of prey perhaps) - very interesting!

Donna Lee said...

I like your color choices and I like the painting as a whole. I like abstract art (I used to have a really cool rug on my floor that was all abstract shapes). I'd put it up in my living room (the colors are just perfect for it!)

Alwen said...

Runs in the family!

Alice said...

Great idea...great result....great future. Who cares if they don't sell for multi millions; David's (and your) satisfaction and pleasure is worth more than that....unless you have a buyer with millions, that is...lol.

Meggie said...

I see a face.. I really like it!