Sunday, June 24, 2007

I'm still using it Mum

Maz and Linda have both posted recently about vintage needlebooks so I promised that I would too.

THIS rather plain little needlebook was made by my late mother in primary school, most probably around 1930 or 31 [ based on the fact that she was born in 1920 ]

The stitching is crude and the colour is awful but still bright and still serving its purpose after over 70 years of use.

I have a reasonable collection of needlebooks, hussifs, pincushions and sewing caddies of one sort and another. In fact all the sewing paraphenalia that you would expect a quilter to have made or acquired in a quarter century of stitching [ not counting a decade of dressmaking before that ] but this battered little piece holds fond memories of a mother who couldn't sew to save herself but still held onto this treasure from her childhood.
I'm not even sure at what stage it came into my possession. I just seem to have always had it.
Nadie you are NEVER to throw this out!

oh and people? Maz is having a contest and all you have to do is tell her about your collections.

zero degrees again last night

7 comments:

crazyhaberdasher said...

It is a precious needlebook nonetheless, and I am sure will be treasured for many, many years.

Linda said...

It is beautiful - and I am so glad you are ensuring your family know its importance - thank you for posting.

Sheepish Annie said...

I love using old and treasured items. My swift is not the most functional piece of fiber equipment I own. But it belonged to my great-great grandmother. I use it with pride!

The needle book is fabulous and I'm betting that your mum just knew deep down that there would someday be a daughter who would use it for such beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

I love the things I have from my grandmother, and try to use/wear them. Among other things there's a darning egg, a rolling pin, a sweater and a suede jacket. Lots of nice memories every time.

I think my kids have their own ideas of what's meaningful to them. My daughter has asked me fairly recently if she can have the salt shaker in the kitchen next to the stove 'someday'.

Tanya Brown said...

This is marvelous, a nice reminder of your mom every time you use it. I'll bet she'd be delighted to know that it's been useful for you.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Oh my, how wonderful you still have it. I know you will treasure it for ever, and hand it down to the next generation when the time comes.
Take care, Meow

Val said...

That photo reminds me of the sewing things my mother made, with similar stitching. She was born in 1925. Recently I discovered I had her handmade pin cushion with her initials embroidered on it.

I may make a similar needlebook myself for all the different needles I use for sewing handmade books. They don't seem to go well into the commercially made pin cushions.

Thanks for reminding us of the things we should be keeping and treasuring.