Wednesday, October 08, 2008

country life ? not so joyous as it turns out

Apparently the title of yesterday's post should have been read with a touch of irony.

I got home from quilt group at lunchtime and headed over to Pete's to see if anything had happened while I was out.

Without going into details, there was visible evidence that India was finally in labour so I continued on to the house where Pete had mistakenly thought that he was about to have lunch. We sat with her for the next two hours watching that one tiny hoof and then she finally delivered a stillborn pure black buck and nothing else.

Just one

Non-breeding bucks are generally unwanted and PND could've probably given it away [ or even put it down ] without a second thought but he still tried everything he could to get that little one jump started and nothing worked. I will admit that I stayed out of the way with India while that was happening. There are some things that don't need witnesses and the sounds of that stoic Aussie bloke trying to save the little buck nearly broke my heart.

I know in the grand scheme this is a tiny tragedy and I know that we still have Scarlett's babies to come, but I'm sad tonight

12 comments:

prueg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nadie said...

Even though you'd already told me that post still made me tear up.

Fingers crossed for better news with Scarlett.

btw the deleted post was just me not realising Chris was logged in.

Tara said...

I had tears in my eyes reading that. I understand that in country life, and farm life, these things happen you don't get attached yada yada yada.. but I still can't help feeling sad in that sort of situation :(

Anonymous said...

I teared up too - so sad to lose a little life.

But there'll be other little lives coming along and whether that happens next door or halfway around the world - well, we're all part of all of it anyway!

Give India a pat for me?

Sheepish Annie said...

Poor little thing...I know it's nature's way, but it still just makes me so sad. It is good that you could be there for India. It must have been so confusing for her...

Rose Red said...

I'm sad about it too. Please give India (and Scarlet) pats for me.

Sara said...

I'm so sorry to hear that the buck was stillborn. Please give India a hug or pat or whatever to make her feel better and let her know that there are those of us who feel for her.

Hopefully, Scarlett's babies will be here soon.

lisette said...

tiny tragedy maybe but it's a little life and a little soul gone. and how sad for mother india - big hugs to you all

xxxx

Lindi said...

Small in the overall scheme of things, perhaps, but still sad for India and all around her. I hope she is not grieving too much.
Hugs to all.

Tanya Brown said...

Oh, dear. It's a hard life for animals.

Lynne said...

So sad! hope you all recover soon.

Alwen said...

*sigh*

Sorry to hear it.